So you want something new out of your professional endeavors in 2015? My friend, Chrissy Conner, president of Mahalo Development in Oklahoma City, has some great tips on how you can start making career moves immediately.
Reach Your Career Goals in 2015
New year, new YOU, right! And, at the top of your list are career goals, but how do you really get that promotion or new job? You made the list, you hung it up where you can visibly be reminded of your goals, and you patiently wait for things to magically change.
However, Newton’s first Law of Motion applies here – an object in motion tends to stay in motion – or an object not in motion doesn’t move!
You’ve got to take action – and once you put these 5 steps in motion you will be well on your way to that 2015 dream job!
- Identify what you want. You put it on the list, but now, it is time to truly identify what you want. Is it a promotion or a new job? Do you want to stay in the same company or join a new one? Do you want to change careers completely? This is where the laser focus begins. Be specific about your career and what you want. Think it through and write it down. You also need to know what specific skills, experience, certifications, etc. are required or preferred for your new role.
- Know your options. Once you have clearly identified your next move, you need to know where those opportunities are. Are they in your department or other departments within your current organization, or are they somewhere else maybe at another organization or maybe a different industry? Do the research and know where the jobs are.
- Evaluate yourself for the role and the company. Do you meet the minimum or preferred job requirements? If not, what do you need to do to get there? For example, if giving presentations to upper management is required, and you’ve never done any public or professional speaking, maybe you need to join a Toast Masters group. If leadership experience is preferred maybe you need to sign up for a leadership workshop, read books, or anything to show that you are working to prepare yourself for that next step. You also need to compare yourself to the culture, mission, etc. of the organizations you are considering as employers. You need to make sure they are the right organization for you.
- Build your network. Now that you are laser focused, it’s time to start networking with people in those roles and professionals at those organizations. Ever heard the term, “birds of a feather flock together?” It’s true! So, get to know successful people doing the work you will be doing! It’s the best way to understand what it takes to rise to the top in that profession. It’s also a great way to hear about job openings and to network with professional recruiters who specialize in that area. Networking is always a win/win, and based on the information you discovered in the first three steps, you will feel confident hanging out with those birds!
- Go for it! What are you waiting for? Start working toward what you want today. Start networking today, join LinkedIn if you haven’t, get connected to professionals and start contributing to conversations, social events, etc. Anything to get you more involved and to start making a name for yourself in that community. And, if there are any items from #3 that you need to work toward, do it today. Sign up for a class, look into workshops or seminars, contact a life or career coach – whatever it is, do it now!
An object in motion tends to stay in motion – once you begin this journey, there are no limits! I definitely know that Triumph Team offers fantastic workshops…and they just happen to know the best career coach around…put things in motion today by contacting us today!
We would love to help you achieve your career goals in 2015.
Happy New Year – wishing you tremendous success in 2015!